Thursday, January 30, 2014

Popsicles make everything better.

Well I had planned on doing a very easy run to keep my muscles loose on Monday and stretching them out really well.  However, I was just too tired.  I took an hour nap on the couch instead and hung out with my babies.

I did find a really good guide for foam rolling though and decided that if I don't want to spend the money to get sport massages I better put myself through the pain of foam rolling.  I really think it will help me not get injured.  For me stretching only gets me so far.  I still have some decent knots in my calves that makes me cry a little while foam rolling them.  You can find the article here.

Tuesday I did an easy 3 miles on the treadmill while my three children chased each other around downstairs and took turns spinning each other in the recliner.  I finished my little run just as the baby fell off the recliner and smacked her mouth on the tile floor.  A little bit of blood from her lips which was quickly forgotten once daddy gave her a popsicle.

Yesterday (Wednesday) it actually warmed up to above zero here and by some miracle my husband got work off for the day.  I was able to get outside for a run and got 5 miles in at a 10 minute pace.  At first I was feeling pretty discouraged that I was only able to bang out a 10 minute pace, but then I reminded myself that I am bundled up like a snowman and that I have to be very careful of all the ice that is on the ground.  Plus I decided that if I can maintain a 10 minute pace through the winter I will be setting myself up this spring for some nice advancement.  I think I started out last spring at an 11 minute pace and was pretty comfortable at 9:30 before I took some time off due to a pulled muscle.

I've also been researching what the best weight for me might be for maximizing my running.  One formula calculates you at a certain body fat percentage and at 17% body fat that works out to 105 pounds for me.  Not sure how realistic that is.  I'm at 127 right now and while I would like to lose some more bodyfat to become a more efficient runner 105 seems quite a stretch.  So my plan is to eat really well with no extras for a few weeks and see if I drop any body fat and see what it does to my running.  I figure a bit by bit goal is much more attainable than "hey I should drop 22 pounds!" goal.

Are you slower in the winter?


Do you think you are at a good training weight?



Trying to get her to sit still to take a picture of us.


Deer highway through our woods.


The sign at the bottom of our driveway.


Wintery.

Silly faces!



No comments: