Tuesday, February 04, 2014

A Plan!

Alright, solid goal identified and plan put into action.  I like having a plan.  I need a plan.  If the plan is too vague I have a very hard time pursuing a goal.  So I checked out some books from the library (cheaper than buying it and possibly not liking it).  The first one called Racing Weight, is a good introduction and general plan for athletes wanting to drop body fat during their training.  It provides enough calories and fuel for training.

Another book called Racing Weight Quick Start Guide has a very detailed plan of action and it meant to be used before the bulk of a training cycle happens.  I like this one a lot.  It has you estimate a weight goal based on body fat percentage instead of what you think you should weigh.  The whole point of this is for getting better at your sport and the idea that if you are carrying less body fat you will be faster.  And I want to be fast!

Next you calculate the average number of calories you burn for the week and average it out.  You choose a certain calorie deficit based on how many pounds of body fat you want to lose and then use a high protein meal plan to only consume the set number of calories.  Then you follow a training schedule that has plenty of strength training to ensure that with the calorie deficit you don't lose muscle just body fat!

I'm planning on following it for 6 weeks to a leaner, faster me!

Got my long run done on Sunday again while my husband was at work.  All three girls were napping so I used that time to run.  I don't do well when they are running around as they always need management so someone doesn't lose an eye.

Today was my first day on the new training schedule and had me doing some hills.  I did the longer than they said in the book because I knew I could handle it.

Fridays will be a cross training day and they have cycling in the schedule.  Since it is "hell hath frozen over" cold here I decided to invest in a bike trainer.  I thought it would just be easy to get the trainer, attach my bike to it, and go.  But NO.  I had to get a stabilizer thingy for my front tire as well and they tell me that I have to purchase a special trainer tire.  So the trainer was $100 and the stabilizer thingy was $25 and the trainer tire is going to be another $45!  I guess this weeks tips are going to my new gear.

Despite the price I am crazy excited to be able to use my Gary Fisher bike again.  I haven't got to use it much since I started having babies.  They frown on you leaving young children to fend for themselves even if it is for so noble a cause as exercise. I really want to cross train so this will work out really great for me.

Tomorrow on the training schedule...strength training.  Not my favorite, but it will help keep me from being injured and get faster!

Do you cross train?

If you do what do you do?


Baking day!


Giant wheel of cheese I had to cut at work.


One of my most favorite places to run!


Olive squishing Erin.





No comments: