Thursday, July 29, 2010

Snakes in the Grass.

We stayed over at a friends house due to crazy hot temperatures and our lack of AC. When we came back home I went out to check on my little garden, preparing myself for plants being nibbled off by our rampant deer. Suprisingly, none of my plants had suffered! However I found a gartner snake. He was stuck in my cucumber plant and the netting I have used to thwart the deer.


The poor thing had somehow wiggled his body through some of the holes and got himself so stuck and wriggled so hard that he had wripped scales off his body. He must have been there for awhile because the sores were dry looking.



The Hubster was at work, so I put on a long sleeved shirt, gloves and grabbed some scissors. AND, my camera. I put Izzy into a stroller so she would be crawling all over me while I cut the snake free. Erin held onto the camera while I attempted to free the creature.







Anytime I started to get too close to the sores and get the netting off the snake would thrash it's body all over the place. I felt sorry for him, being stuck and having some huge person come at him with scissors. He wiggled to much for me to do a throurgh job of getting all the netting off. And to be honest, I was too nervous to grab onto him and hold him down to get it all off.



Thanks for the big butt shot Erin. =)



I did my best and cut the netting off as close to his body as I could. Then we went back into the house to let the snake slither off if he so chose. When I went back out to check after the girls were in bed he was gone. Who knows if he will survive his wounds, or having some of the netting still on him. Good luck Mr. Snake!

No comments: